Outlook Intermediate 2013
This course contains the following 15 modules on the following:
- To add a full day event use the New Item button in the New Group, select All Day Event from the drop down menu and complete the Event Form.
- The Go To Group allows you to go to Today or the Next 7 Days. To open a specific date use the Go To Date drop down menu then type in the required date in the dialog box.
- The commands in the Arrange Group enable you to view events by the day, work week, full week, month or in schedule view.
- Views can be changed using the Change Views command in the Current View group. Available views are Calendar, Preview, List and Active.
- To use the archive options select AutoArchive from the Advanced tab in Outlook Options on the File tab.
- When the AutoArchive dialog box opens you can set your running preferences.
- You can set up AutoArchive options for individual folders by right-clicking on the folder, selecting Properties then opening and editing the AutoArchive tab.
- AutoArchive settings can also be accessed through the AutoArchive Settings button in the Properties group on the Folder tab.
- With a contact selected, you can dial their number by clicking on the More button from the Communicate group and then selecting Call.
- When the Call box opens you can change the contact or call the contact on an alternative number.
- Track the duration of your call by clicking in the Create new Journal Entry when starting new call box.
- Use the Open Contact button to open the complete Contact file.
- Provided you are attached to a modem you can use the Start Call button to dial your contact. The End Call button is only available when your call is connected to allow you to disconnect.
- Contact details may be sent as electronic business cards by right-click the record you wish to send and select As a Business Card from the Forward Contact menu. The business card will be sent in, and as, an attachment to an email.
- If you receive a business card in an email you can open it by double clicking the attachment and using the Save
- You can change the interface settings in Outlook using the Outlook Options dialog box which is opened by clicking Options on the File tab. You can set user interface options for all areas of Outlook such as Mail, Calendar, Contacts and Tasks.
- Your messages can be created and read in one of three formats, HTML, Rich or Plain Text. Select Mail in the Outlook Options dialog box and set the format using the Compose messages in this format list.
- Set a password beginning by opening the file tab, selecting Account Settings and opening the Data Files tab in the Account Settings dialog box. Double-click on your chosen account and select Change Password. Type in the password of your choice, verify it and click OK.
- When Outlook opens you will be asked for the password to open the data file. Failure to enter the correct password will mean the folders remain closed.
- You can delegate a task in Outlook by opening the task and clicking on the Assign Task button from the Manage Tasks group on the Task tab. Fill out the Assign Task form or click Cancel Assignment to cancel. Use the Send button to send a completed Task request.
- AutoCreate allows you to create a task by dragging an email to the Tasks icon on the Navigation Pane. The AutoCreate function will fill in the fields in the Task form from corresponding fields in the email. The Task can be edited as normal. Use Save and Close in the Actions group to confirm any changes.
- Clicking in the Search box will open the Search tab and you can refine your search using the commands in the Refine group. You are not limited to searching using one Refine command, you can select multiple search parameters.
- Available search parameters include From, Subject, Has Attachments, Categorized, Flagged and Important etc.
- The Search Tools button in the Options group opens a menu which offers different search tools.
- Opening the Advanced Find dialog box allows you to personalise your options.
- Create a personal calendar by right-clicking on a calendar already in the list and choosing New Calendar or by selecting Create New Blank Calendar from the Open Calendar menu in the Manage Calendars group.
- When the Create New Folder dialog box opens give your new calendar a name and click OK to create it. Delete a calendar by right-clicking on it and selecting Delete Calendar from the shortcut menu.
- Overlay mode allows you to see more than one calendar in the same space. With the calendars open click the View in Overlay Mode button. The calendars are shown together each calendar has a tab which you can use to bring it to the front.
- Edit your appointments by double clicking on the entry to open the calendar entry form.
- Copy an appointment from one calendar by clicking on it and dragging it to a new location on another calendar.
- Email a calendar using the E-mail Calendar button in the Share group. This opens the Send a Calendar via E-mail dialog box and you can edit the options before sending.
- The View tab has replaced the Advanced Toolbar and all its functions.
- Use the commands in the Layout group to alter the way Outlook is displayed. You can also use the To Do Bar button to expand or
- collapse the To Do Bar.
- The commands in the Current View group on the View tab allow you to change the view to a preset view or create your own.
- Set your personal view using the Manage Views command on the Change View button. This opens a Manage All Views dialog box, select New then set up a new view in the Create a New View dialog box.
- Sort messages by opening the Manage All Views dialog box, select your View, open Advanced View Settings using the Modify button and choose Sort. When the Sort dialog box opens you can change your sort settings to suit your needs.
- Selecting Filter from the Advanced View Settings allows you to choose how to filter the sorted emails.
- Clear your settings by selecting the Reset View button in the Current View group.
- You can plan a meeting by selecting the date, clicking in the time slot of your choice, clicking on the New Meeting button and completing the Meeting form.
- Invite Attendees by Clicking the Scheduling button in the Show group on the Meeting form ribbon. When Scheduling is open click in the Click here to add a name box in the All Attendees list and type in the required name. You can also use the Add Others button to access and use the Address Book.
- The Scheduling window shows you the schedules for all your selected attendees allowing you to pick a convenient meeting time.
- The Appointment button in the Show group opens a new Meeting Request form which you fill with information about your meeting and send as an email.
- When you receive a meeting request you have a choice of Accept, Tentative or Decline. The Accept button offers a choice of response options including Do Not Send a Response.
- Create a signature by selecting Options on the File tab, opening the Mail section and clicking the Signatures button. When the Signatures and Stationery dialog box opens click New and give your signature a name.
- Once the signature is named you can type directly into the Edit Signature box to create it.
- Add a Hyperlink link using the Hyperlink button and completing the Insert Hyperlink dialog box.
- The commands on the Signatures and Stationery dialog box allow you to change your formatting options.
- The Choose default signature options let you set a default signature for each of your email accounts.
- Use the Business Card button to insert a business card as a signature.
- Click the Signature button in the Include group to add a signature to an open email. Choosing a different signature from the list will replace the existing signature.
- Right clicking in an email alongside a signature will open a shortcut menu allowing you to change the signature.
- To change your message format, open Outlook Options from the File tab and click Stationery and Fonts from the Mail tab; this opens the Signatures and Stationery box. Click Theme then select a theme from the list, if you are happy with the preview, click Ok to accept.
- The theme will apply to any new emails you create but the Themes group in the Options tab will allow you to change the theme for a specific email.
- To create a Message Template open and set up a new email then save it as a template by selecting Save As on the File tab and changing Save as type to an Outlook Template.
- Open a Template by clicking the New Items button on the Home tab, selecting More Items and then clicking Choose Form. When the Choose Form dialog box opens click on the Look In list and choose one of the Templates options. When the templates are displayed click on the one you require and click Open.
- Edit the email template in the usual way and click Send to deliver it.
- To set up a Journal open the File tab, select Options, then Notes and Journal and then click Journal Options. When the Journal Options dialog box opens select the settings you require and click OK.
- To view and open your Journal entries click on the Folder List button and then select the Journal folder on the Navigation Pane and the Journal entries will be displayed. Click Entry List in the Current View Group to display Journal entries as a list and then double-click an entry to view further details.
- Use the Journal entry button in the New group to open a new Journal entry and manually record entries.
- To record a phone call open a new Journal Entry and click Start Timer when you are connected. When you finish the call click Pause Timer and select Save and Close to store the entry.
- You can use Drag and Drop to move an item from one of the Outlook folders into the Journal. Just be sure the folders are displayed in the Navigation Pane.
Viewing Arranging Items:
- Day View is the default view in Calendars but you can choose to view your calendar as Work Week, Week, Month or as Schedule View. The commands to change the views are in the Arrange group on the Calendar Home tab or in the current View group in the View tab.
- You can move an appointment to another time slot on the same day, by clicking on it and dragging it. To move the appointment to another day or month, you need to use the Cut and Paste shortcuts (Ctrl X and Ctrl V).
- You can use the Delete command on the Appointment menu, or the Delete key to remove appointments.
- Reminders are automatically scheduled to appear fifteen minutes before each appointment. You can manually turn off a reminder message for an appointment by opening it, and then de-activating the Reminder option.
- When a Reminder pops up you can click on the Snooze button to be reminded again five minutes before the appointment. You can also specify how long before the alarm is re-activated, by selecting the Click Snooze to be reminded again in list button.
Working with Folders:
- Drag the border between the Folder list and Message area to resize the Folder list.
- Create a new folder using Ctrl Shift E , then name it in the Create New Folder box. Choose the items the folder contains and select where to place it before clicking OK. Alternatively use New Folder in the New group on the Folder tab or right click on a folder and select the new Folder command.
- A white arrow by a folder shows there are sub-folders inside it, a black arrow indicates the sub-folders are displayed. Clicking on an arrow will open or close a folder.
- Use Drag and Drop to move messages into folders, use the Move command on the Home tab or the shortcut keys Ctrl Shift V. When the Move Items box opens choose a destination and click OK. Copy items to another folder, by simply holding down the Ctrl key as you drag and drop.
- Rename a folder by selecting the Rename option from the Actions group or via the right-click shortcut menu.
- You can remove a selected folder from the list, by simply selecting the Delete button.
- To empty the Deleted Items folder when you close Outlook, open the Advanced tab in Outlook Options then select Empty Deleted Items folder when exiting Outlook.
Working with Notes:
- Click on the New Note button in the New group on the Notes Home tab to create a new note. When the new note opens you can type
- directly into it.
- Open the Categorize section by either clicking the Categorize button in the Tags group or by clicking the Note icon on the Note and
- selecting Categorize from the shortcut menu. Choose a category from the list and the note will change to the colour of that category.
- Double click on the note icon to open it for editing.
- You can link a Contact to a note by clicking on the Note icon on the Note and selecting Contacts from the shortcut menu. When the
- Contacts for Note dialog box opens you can select the required contact from the Contacts list or type the name straight in the box.
- To delete a note select it and then either click the Delete button or press the Delete key on your keyboard.
- Change the display view by selecting an option from the Current View list or the Navigation Pane.
- Add Events to the Calendar
- Enter Start Dates
- Enter Completion Dates
- Use Words to Enter Dates
- Select Recurrence Options
- Use the Go to Date Feature
- View Events
- Archive Items
- Activate AutoArchive
- Set Folder Archive Properties
- Dial a Contact's Phone
- Track Phone Call Duration
- Using Contact Information
- Use Business Cards
- Store Business Card Details
- Tailor Outlook
- Set Calendar Options
- Use Mail Format Options
- Password Protect mail
- Change a Password
- Sign-on using a Password
- Delegate a Task
- Send a Task Request
- Use AutoCreate
- Find Messages in a Folder
- Use Query Builder
- Use Advanced Find Feature
- Open Items with the Find Box
- Close the Find Pane
- Create a Personal Calendar
- Use Overlay Mode
- Copy between Calendars
- Email Calendars
- Use the View tab
- Use Built-in Views
- Set Custom Views
- Sort Messages
- Apply and Remove a Filter
- Plan a Meeting
- Invite Attendees
- View User Schedules
- Enter Meeting Details
- Send Meeting Requests
- Respond to Requests
- Understand Signatures
- Create a Signature
- Add Formatting
- Change the Default Signature
- Append a Signature
- Insert a Hyperlink
- Change Message Formats
- Use Stationery
- Set Default Stationery
- Create a Message Template
- Save a Message Template
- Use a Template
- Set up a Journal
- Open a Journal Entry
- Manually Record Entries
- Auto Record Entries
- Set Journal Options
- Copy Items to the Journal
Viewing Arranging Items:
- Use Built-in Calendar Views
- Move Appointments
- Delete Calendar Items
- Respond to Reminders
Working with Folders:
- Re-size the Folder List
- Define Personal Folders
- Define Public Folders
- Create Folders
- Expandand Collapse Folders
- Moveand Copy Folder Items
- Rename Folders
- Delete Folders
- Set Automatic Deletion
Working with Notes:
- Create a Note
- Change a Note's Colour
- Edit a Note
- Link a Contact to a Note
- View Notes
- Delete Notes
Adding Events: 20 Minutes Archiving Folders: 20 Minutes Contact Tools: 20 Minutes Custom Tools: 15 Minutes Delegating AutoCreate: 15 Minutes Finding Items: 40 Minutes Multiple Calendars: 40 Minutes Outlook Views: 40 Minutes Planning Meetings: 30 Minutes Signatures: 20 Minutes Stationary Templates: 35 Minutes The Journal: 30 Minutes Viewing Arranging Items: 15 Minutes Working with Folders: 40 Minutes Working with Notes: 20 Minutes