Food Safety: Allergens
All food and drink handlers have a legal responsibility to ensure that the produce they manufacture, sell or serve is safe for the consumer to eat, and this is particularly true when providing food products to people with food allergies or intolerance.
This online Food Allergen Awareness course will teach you more about the foods that commonly trigger allergic reactions and develop your understanding of the legal responsibilities of a food handler in regards to allergen labeling and declaring which allergens are present in your food products.
The course ensures that you will comply with your duties under the Food Labeling Regulations 1996 and the European Provision of Food Information to Consumers Regulation 2011, which require all food handlers to have knowledge of allergens and be able to provide allergen information for all food sold.
- Ensures compliance with the European Provision of Food Information to Consumers Regulation 2011
- Fully accredited by CPD and iirsm
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Approximate duration: 30-45 minutes
The course is divided into 5 easy to follow modules includes a multiple choice test at the end:
- Introduction to Allergens
- Allergens and the Law
- Controlling Allergenic Contamination: Ingredients
- Controlling Allergenic Contamination: Hygiene
Aims of the Course:
By the end of this course learners will:
- Identify the 14 allergenic ingredients that must be declared in food products
- Be aware of the common symptoms of allergic reactions
- Have knowledge of the legal responsibilities of food handlers in regards to allergen labeling and declaration
- Understand the differences between food allergies, food intolerance, anaphylaxis and coeliac disease
- Explain the appropriate actions to take to minimise the risk of allergen contamination
- Consider the different kinds of allergens that may be found in certain types of cuisine
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This course is also accredited by iirsm, the International Institute for Risk and Safety Management, as providing quality and content-approved training.
Approximately 30-45 minutes. The length of time taken depends entirely on how quickly learners study and absorb the material.
Who Should Take This Course?
This course is suitable for food and drink handlers in all types of establishments, including catering, retail and manufacturing businesses. The course is appropriate for workers of all levels including managers and supervisors, full-time staff and part-time staff.
Once you have completed all of the online course you will be able to take the multiple choice test. The test consists of 10 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 80%.