About this course
Healthcare and medical professions have their own vocabulary, a specialised language that allows for quick and efficient communication between its members while minimising potential misunderstandings. Whether you are new to the medical profession or need a refresher class, we have a medical terminology course that will give you the boost you are looking for to further your career! In this course, we will cover the medical language and terminology used by healthcare professionals everywhere (in this specific subject area). If you’re interested in pursuing a health career and need the ability to communicate with medical professionals, you will find this course a perfect fit by providing you with a solid foundation in medical language.
This course forms one (subject-specific) module of our comprehensive "Medical Terminology" programme (which is comprised of 17 subject modules in total). The full programme is recommended if you require an extensive primer in various core aspects of medical terminology.
- Identify the structures of the upper and lower respiratory system and their function.
- Detail the process of respiration.
- Describe common diseases and disorders, as well as treatments and medications, of the respiratory system.
- Enumerate common clinical procedures and laboratory tests used to diagnose and treat common respiratory disorders.
- Spell and pronounce common terms associated with the pulmonary system.
- Interpret abbreviations that pertain to the respiratory system.
- Recognize and define the meaning to combining forms of the respiratory system terminology.
- 7.0 Respiratory Video
- 7.1 Anatomy of the Respiratory System
- 7.2 Just Breathe - Process of Respiration
- 7.3 Process of Breathing
- 7.4 Upper Respiratory System
- 7.5 Lower Respiratory Tract
- 7.6 Chapter 7 Activity 1
- 7.7 Chapter 7 Activity 2
- 7.8 Disorders and Diseases
- 7.9 Chapter 7 Activity 3
- 7.10 Respiratory Conditions
- 7.11 COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- 7.12 Asthma
- 7.13 Bronchitis
- 7.14 Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- 7.15 Sarcoidosis
- 7.16 Cystic Fibrosis
- 7.17 Pulmonary Embolism
- 7.18 Pulmonary Edema
- 7.19 Influenza
- 7.20 Tuberculosis
- 7.21 Chapter 7 Quiz 1
- 7.22 Respiratory System Terminology
- 7.23 Respiratory Condition Review
- 7.24 Chapter 7 Activity 4
- 7.25 Invasive and Noninvasive Procedures
- 7.26 Commonly Used Medications
- 7.27 Antihistamines
- 7.28 Antitussives
- 7.29 Bronchodilators
- 7.30 Inhalation Steroids
- 7.31 Decongestants
- 7.32 Expectorants
- 7.33 Antibiotics
- 7.34 Lung surfactants
- 7.35 Chapter 7 Quiz 2
- 7.36 Prefixes, Suffixes and Combining Forms for Respiratory System
- 7.37 Abbreviations for Respiratory System
- 7.38 Chapter Review
- 7.39 Chapter 7 Test
- 7.40 Respiratory System Chapter Survey